I work with a woman who had gastric bypass 8 years ago. She initially lost a lot of weight (I saw her pictures) but then gained back a chunk. She took charge and lost the weight again and then had a big emotional event happen in her life. She gained a lot back. Now she's again starting to take charge and get back down.
I relate this story in this forum because that's probably the BIGGEST change I see in myself after having WLS. The fact that I finally have control. Yes, I'm not always perfect. But when I think back on how I was pre-surgery, I wasn't even close. Now I have days when I am perfect (diet-wise) and plenty of days when I am close. I never got and buy a bag of oreos and eat the entire bag or feel like I have to sneak food when people are looking so they won't wonder why I would eat so much or so crappy. I can't eat most of a large pizza before and... when I want I can survive on 1500 or less calories in a day without my body screaming at me or really even feeling deprived.
It's amazing.
But the other reason (in conjunction with the one above) for relating that story is to let everyone know that if you lose your weight and then gain some of it back, you haven't failed. You still have the tool to get back on track and lose again. You are in control. And that might be (if you're anything like me) the sweetest thing you've ever heard.
Sean
Friday, January 30, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment