Again I have to apologize for taking time away from updates. I've been under the weather. Before surgery I never used to get sick. I have to think that was due to one (or all) of three things: (1) My body had a lot more food to use to keep my body healthy; (2) the extra food and the lack of malabsorption helped my body be able to fend off illness; (3) I was too heavy to do much so I didn't get out and around people who were sick much.
I know it wasn't JUST (3) because I caught my daughter's illness this time and I've always been around her when she was sick (before and after surgery). But the first two times I EVER got a bad case of the flu have been post-surgery. All I can say is "ick!" I feel icky.
Anyway, today I wanted to talk about where I am on this journey. I currently weight 224 lbs. I still can't believe that I'm 250 lbs lighter than I was on April 11, 2007. I still double take whenever I see myself in the mirror. I went in to see the plastic surgeon this past week to discuss removal of my excess skin from my thighs, abdomen, upper arms, back and chest. I've scheduled (within the next couple of months) the first surgery for this. It will include the upper arms, the thighs, and the abdomen. I'm both excited and a bit anxious about this surgery. With any luck by June I'll be loving life.
But here's what I wanted to talk about in regards to that surgery. The timeline for this type of plastic surgery is much the same as it was for gastric bypass. You have to walk a lot after the surgery to avoid blood clots, 5-6 weeks and your surgeon's clearance before you start heavy exercise, and overall it takes about 18 months for 100% recovery -- scars looking their best, skin reattached perfectly, nerves regenerated, etc. So I'm going into it looking at it like 2009 is my plastic surgery year and 2011 is the year when my entire journey will be completely, 100% behind me. I'll be living my life long before 2011 (I already am) but I'm looking forward to the little improvements this is going to make for me with my exercise, etc.
By the way, if you want a plastic surgeon reference, try Dr. Scott Haupt. You can google him. I think he's amazing -- he spends an inordinate amount of time (both he and his patient coordinator Sheri) answering your questions and making sure that you have all your questions answered. If you elect to see him for a free consultation, please let him know you were referred by me.
Anyway, wish me luck.
Sean
Sunday, March 1, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment